(This post is about 2 days late. I went into hyper overdrive around the end and didn’t want to waste precious cycles trying to get a forum post out in time. Nonetheless, this post shall still exist!)
Day 3 of development of my Indie Goodbye game was an interesting one. I started the day by working on the title screen logo. Adding a title screen goes a long way to making your project feel more like a real game, which gets pumped back into your motivation center through a process called “science”, or so they say.
A little after finishing, I decided to start playing with exporting to the other platforms that Haxe supports. I had a little trouble getting an HTML5 build to run at first – it kept stalling on the preloader – but once I re-installed FlashDevelop the compilation worked fine. The result, however, wasn’t as good as I had hoped.
It probably has something to do with how I was creating and positioning images in code, but things weren’t displaying or aligning properly. The collision detection, keyboard movement, and object spawning worked without a hitch, though, so I’m convinced I’ll be able to get it running if I dig a little deeper.
Trying to compile for Android was different story, though. I wasted about 3-4 hours just trying to get my PC to recognize my device. Failing that, I just uploaded the APK to the server and downloaded it from my phone. Much to my dismay, the only thing that would display was the HaxePunk debug console. On top of that, frantically installing and uninstalling different drivers made my computer less than happy. I ended up getting frustrated with it and decided to do a clean install of Windows (probably not the best thing to do during a game jam).
Fast-forward through about 4 hours of re-installing things, updating drivers and syncing Dropbox and that concludes Day 3. Not the best in terms of productivity, but at least my development workflow is a lot smoother.